Whether you are a family on the constant “go”, just considering a few nights away or a long vacation with little ones, there are a few things to consider when it comes to the sleeping arrangements.
I mean, where is everyone going to sleep anyway?
If you are headed to a hotel – they usually will have a crib or portable cot option for you to request ahead of time! Call ahead!
That isn’t true everywhere, and some people might not be into the unknown there (what the product is, how well it is taken care of, etc.). So, if you are bringing your own bed for a hotel or rental house/apartment consider these traveling beds to come with you:
Portable Bed Options
Babies & Toddlers
- Lotus Travel Crib ~$200
- BABY JOY Baby Playpen, Ultra-Light Aluminum Portable Travel Crib ~$90
- BABYBJORN Travel Crib Light ~$300
- JOOVY New Room2 Portable Playard $125
- Graco Pack n’ Play ~$150\
Toddlers & Young Kids
- EnerPlex Kids Inflatable Toddler Travel Bed with High Speed Pump, Portable Air Mattress for Kids ~$65
- Little Sleepy Head Toddler Inflatable Bed, Perfect Kids Travel Bed ~$60
The second factor in our life is…
The Privacy/Darkness Factors
If your children are anything like mine, they need darkness to sleep!
Also, I can’t be hanging out on the bed next to them trying to scroll through my phone while they fall asleep – it is really just not happening.
They need to be alone (or at least feel like they are alone!) and need a lack of distractions (like people and a cool hotel room full of new fun stuff to break, lick or jump on). Hotel rooms don’t lend well to this like of nap time or early bedtime for our wee ones.
There are so many problems with kids in hotel rooms, am I right? Once they are asleep – what, then I can’t walk around or move or watch my iPad for fear of disrupting them at 8:00 pm? We obviously can’t leave so we are just all stuck there being quiet, sitting in the dark at sunset. Ugh.
It’s true – travel can be tough if you don’t have space where you can all safely spread out. There are a few products on the market that can totally help you out!
- SnoozeShade Pack N Play Crib Canopy and Tent | Breathable Netting Sleep and Cover Shade ~$90
- SlumberPod Privacy Pod for Traveling with Babies and Toddlers ~$155
- Milliard Darkening Tent for Pack N Play, Baby Playard Canopy with Safety Vents ~$31
- Alvantor Canopy Bed Dream Privacy Space Twin Size Sleeping Tents Indoor Pop Up Portable Frame ~$90
- Privacy Pop Bed Tent ~$129
If your babes will have their own room (honestly, a laundry room, walk-in closet, and bathroom all count when I say room…), consider using temporary blackout shades on the windows if need be:
- AmazonBasics Portable Baby Travel Window Blackout Blind Shades with Suction Cups ~$25
- Jahoot Blackout Window Cling Film ~$12
- BOBOTOGO Blackout Pleated Shade ~$30
Instead of taking all this stuff with you – try renting pack n’ plays, cribs, strollers, high chairs and even a box of toys at your new location! We have done this in San Diego and Arizona and it has worked out awesome!
There are tons and tons of rental companies so I would just run a quick google search for the city you are going and “baby equipment rental” – you’ll have plenty of choices! We have had great experience in the past and it has totally lightened our travel load.
For places like Tahoe, and Palm Springs — we have loaded up our mini-van with everything we needed (including all this kind of baby travel gear) and felt good about having our own stuff with us.
For more posts on travel, visit my posts here!